healthy crockpot chicken stroganoff

FacebookPinterestGoogle+TwittertumblrEmail

Have you ever tried to make a light, boneless-skinless, chicken dish in your crockpot only to end up with a dried out, inedible chunk of meat by the time you’re ready to eat? I had pretty much given up on trying to make anything except barbecue chicken drummies in my crockpot…and then I learned a little secret.

Cooking lean chicken pieces in yogurt all day will keep them tender. It’s the acids in the yogurt that work their magic by tenderizing the meat. I LOVE using yogurt as the base of chicken marinades for grilling too… you can read more about that HERE and HERE.

This particular yogurt chicken dish is so flavorful, you almost forget you’re eating healthy. I use to make it with Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup, but I try not to use anything that contains MSG in our meals anymore. I’ve substituted Amy’s organic cream of mushroom soup for the Campbell’s and I actually like it more. Serve your stroganoff over skin-on baked potatoes,  white or brown rice, egg noodles or spaetzle for a warm, comforting family dinner. Wonderful with steamed veggies or a crispy green salad.

6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 can Amy’s Cream of Mushroom Soup

16 oz. whole milk plain yogurt

2 Tablespoons dry, minced onion

2 MSG-free beef or chicken boullion cubes

1 large clove minced garlic OR 1 teaspoon garlic powder

16 oz. chopped, fresh mushrooms or your choice (we love baby bellas)

1/2 cup dry white wine

freshly ground black pepper

chopped fresh or dry parsley for garnish

Put fresh or frozen, boneless-skinless chicken breasts in the bottom of a big crock pot. Mix remaining ingredients, except for the parsley, pour over chicken and cover. Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours. Salt to taste. Serve on noodles, potatoes, spaetzle dumplings or rice. Garnish with parsley. Delicious paired with a glass of pinot grigio.

48 comments for “healthy crockpot chicken stroganoff

1. November 5, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Love the addition of sour cream! I use buttermilk a lot fot the same reason you chose yogurt for this recipe. Nicely done, Melissa.

April 20, 2014 at 7:54 pm

thanks, Jackie! :) xo

2. Carolyn Bailey
    November 5, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Would it be possible to have the recipe for the crock pot chicken stroganoff sent to my e-mail address? Thank you.

3. Melissa
    November 7, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Hi Jackie! I didn’t know that buttermilk was a tenderizer too! very cool. thanks for telling me :) xo

4. Rachel
    January 15, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Hi. I made this, and it turned out super runny….almost like a broth, so it wasn’t really the type of dish to “serve over” something. What would have caused this? Thanks

January 15, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Hi Rachel! The sauce is definitely thinner than a traditional stroganoff sauce. You certainly could thicken it up by adding sour cream or yogurt at the end of the cooking time. We really like this recipe and pour the sauce over noodles, potatoes and rice. Sorry if this isn’t what you were thinking it was going to be.

Best,
      Melissa

5. January 16, 2013 at 2:22 pm

You could also do a cornstarch or flour slurry to add into it at the end to thinker it a bit.

January 16, 2013 at 5:05 pm

you sure could, Wendy :) I just love the flavor of this sauce so much…don’t mind the thinner consistency. to each their own. xo

6. jessica
    February 1, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Hello. I have a little one at home and would prefer not to use the wine. Is there another substitute for that? Thanks:) Jess

February 6, 2013 at 1:55 pm

non alcoholic white wine would work well, Jessica :)

• katie
      March 27, 2013 at 5:19 am

I don’t have any white wine or cooking wine on hand, so I found this….

I’m going to sub in chicken broth!

March 27, 2013 at 6:54 am

great idea, Katie! enjoy, and thanks for visiting my page :)

7. Shayla
    February 6, 2013 at 11:59 am

Do you have the nutritional facts for this recipe? Sounds delish!!

February 6, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Hello, Shayla! Sorry, I don’t have exact nutritional facts for this…but it’s based on a recipe from Weight Watchers…I believe one serving (one chicken breast, 1/2 cup sauce, and a baked potato = 6 points.) thanks for visiting! xo :)

8. Amy
    February 8, 2013 at 6:35 am

Going to make this today before the big blizzard hits :) can’t wait !

February 8, 2013 at 5:06 pm

enjoy, Amy! xoxo :)

9. Amy
    February 9, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Dish came out great :) my husband loved it. The only thing that I did different was added a lil flour mixed in water to make it a lil thicker. Will definitely make it again. Thanks for the recipe :)

February 9, 2013 at 10:45 pm

so happy you liked it, Amy! thanks for letting me know! :)

10. Kaylee
    February 13, 2013 at 7:41 pm

I just made this, and while is smells awesome, the look of it has me worried. It looks almost like the yogurt curdled in the cooking process, it’s chunky with it instead of smooth like one would expect. Is this what it’s supposed to look like? I haven’t tasted it yet, haha.

February 14, 2013 at 12:06 am

Hi Kaylee! No worries…the yogurt can get that way sometimes…Just whisk it before you serve it, and add a little cornstarch if you want to thicken it a bit. This isn’t the prettiest dish, but it’s pretty good for you, low in fat and it tastes awesome! xoxo :)

11. Amanda
    April 6, 2013 at 11:23 am

I’m trying to put this into a recipe point calculator and need to know how many servings it makes. I am assuming about 6 since usually one breast feeds a person. Can you help? Thanks!

April 6, 2013 at 6:52 pm

approximately 6, Amanda… enjoy, and thanks for visiting! :)

12. Sumiko
    April 25, 2013 at 2:27 pm

This sounds delicious, but I don’t have a crock pot! I’ve got a Dutch oven, though. Do you think I could bake it instead?

April 25, 2013 at 10:09 pm

I bet you could, Sumiko :) I’d say to start with an hour of baking time at 350 degrees F. and go from there…maybe cover it with foil. thanks for visiting! enjoy.

13. Cindy
    April 27, 2013 at 9:27 am

Any tips for cooking on low for 8 or 9 hours? I want to cook while away at work but I am gone for 8 or more hours.

April 27, 2013 at 11:52 am

Hi Cindy :) I think cooking this for 8 hours or more would probably dry out the boneless skinless chicken….Maybe try cooking skin-on chicken breasts on low in the crockpot? Not sure how that would work. It would definitely add more fat to the dish. Or….maybe you could just add a couple pounds of ground turkey instead of the chicken? Sorry, wish I had a more decisive answer for you.

14. Carrie
    June 6, 2013 at 12:08 pm

How many does this serve?

June 6, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Hi Carrie! this recipe serves 6 to 8 people. Thanks for visiting! :)

15. Jessi
    June 7, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Loved this recipe!

I used greek yogurt instead of regular yogurt and a whole chopped onion instead of the dry minced onion. The consistency came out thick and fantastic.

Thanks again.

June 7, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Whoo Hoo! thanks, Jessi! I will try your version and make changes accordingly :) I so appreciate the rendition! XO ~M

16. Laura
    August 3, 2013 at 7:45 pm

I’m going to add quinoa to the crock pot and allow it to cook with the chicken. This will also help to thicken it, I believe!

August 3, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Hi Laura! What a fabulous, healthy addition! thanks for sharing! :)

• Laura S
      September 16, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Laura- How did the addition of quinoa turn out?

17. Alyssa
    September 21, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I’m trying this tomorrow but with vegetarian chicken!! Quorn naked cutlets are an amazing chicken substitute and are soy free! Can’t wait to see how it comes out!

September 22, 2013 at 12:20 am

Hi Alyssa! Thanks for stopping by! I hope you love this healthy dish as much as I do. :) Please let me know how your veg chicken works for this recipe. Enjoy!

18. Deborah
    September 25, 2013 at 9:39 am

Love the healthy aspect of this dish! Can I get the recipe emailed to me?? Thanks!!

19. Alanna
    December 19, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Hello I was just wondering how many pounds of chicken you use for this?

December 27, 2013 at 10:14 am

Hi Alanna, I usually use 3 or 4 large, boneless skinless chicken breasts (so maybe 3 or 4 lb total?) Hope that helps. :)

20. Megan
    March 17, 2014 at 11:02 pm

Can I use chicken broth instead of 2 MSG-free beef or chicken bouillon cubes? if so how much broth would i use?

March 22, 2014 at 3:06 pm

you sure can, Megan… I’d say about 1/4 cup of strong stock would be a good substitute :)

21. Tara
    April 9, 2014 at 8:50 am

Can this be freezed for later use?!?

April 9, 2014 at 9:43 am

You sure can, Tara… just don’t freeze the noodles or rice that you put it on… :) ~M

22. Carroll
    April 19, 2014 at 2:20 am

My husband and I loved the taste but like folks noted above-it had a lot of broth-too watery. I wondered if I was just suppose to put the bouillion cubes in without adding water to them like their directions call for.

April 20, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Hi Carroll :)

You’re only suppose to add the boullion cubes, not any water along with them. Sorry your dish came out watery. You could place the sauce in a big, heavy bottomed Dutch oven on the stove and simmer it, uncovered, to reduce it and thicken it a bit. Add a little cornstarch to it to make an even thicker sauce, if you like. Best, Melissa