dream cookies

FacebookPinterestGoogle+TwittertumblrEmail

Gracie made a big batch of “Dream Cookies” yesterday. This recipe was inspired by the amazingly beautiful blog Color Me Katie.

We used our favorite sugar cookie recipe, added a little pure almond extract and a LOT of neon food coloring to the dough and buttercream frosting. (skip the part in the cookie recipe where you refrigerate the dough for 2 hours…just roll it into balls and bake.)

I started reading Katie Sokoler’s blog a few years ago and immediately fell in love with all aspects of her playful art. These dream cookies were just the beginning. Long story short, Katie inspired me to become a photographer.

She puts rubber duckies in rain puddles after a storm so someone who happens to be passing by will see them and smile. Random act of AWESOMENESS.

She writes love letters to her dresses, is the creator of some rockin’ street art, builds dreamy gossamer forts over her bed just ‘cuz., turns ordinary bouquets into rainbow flowers,  places Pop Up gardens in random spots so her fellow New Yorkers can enjoy them, AND she’s a member of Improv Everywhere (popular for breaking out into song in shopping malls and for their annual “no pants subway ride” in the middle of winter.)

Oh. Before I forget…she has a big mooshy kitty named Moo. How adorable is that?

Go on over and take a look for yourself. Katie is the guru of color therapy. Primary colors never looked so good.

Thanks Katie!

XO

8 comments for “dream cookies

1. August 25, 2012 at 2:10 am

these are so beautiful Melissa and I really love the photograph and recipe…going to have a look at color me Kate and how wonderful that she inspired you to photography….you are so talented.

love

Beverley xoxo

August 26, 2012 at 12:01 am

Hi Beverley!

Thanks so much for visiting and for your sweet compliments :) So pleased you like the recipe. enjoy! XOXO

2. August 25, 2012 at 5:12 am

Love these! So cheery and festive looking!

AND I’d never seen Color Me Katie before. I don’t know how I missed that piece of internet awesomeness, but I thank you for leading me to it. I’m thinking it’s gunna be the perfect place to go when I get stressed out…

August 26, 2012 at 12:02 am

Hi Movita!
      Thanks so much. Katie’s is one of the very first blogs I started reading faithfully :) Perfect way to start the day.

XO

3. March 8, 2013 at 12:35 pm

They’re gorgeous but I just need to get over the fear of using all of the food coloring . . . love sharing your beautiful photos on Room With a View . . .

March 8, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Hi there Beach Mama! thanks for visiting! I’m so glad you commented on this. did you know you can buy natural food coloring? I actually think they’re prettier than the artificial food colors. Here’s just one link I found :) XO…enjoy! http://www.care2.com/greenliving/8-ways-to-make-organic-diy-food-coloring.html

• March 8, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Thank you so much for this Melissa! Another little foodie item to delight my family! xxoo

March 8, 2013 at 10:35 pm

my pleasure! have fun making these pretties! :)